The castle is situated in the district of Ordingen near Sint -Truiden in the Belgian province of Limburg.
Renovated east wing (2012 )
In the early Middle Ages , from 1040 sources mention the lords of Ordingen . Their castle served as a guard on the border of the county of Loon . Messire Adam Harduémont listed in 1253 . His children and grandchildren were to the 14th century inhabitants of the castle . Lack of offspring did the castle pass into the possession of the related family Duras . In the subsequent history names emerge as :
• William of Duras , deceased in 1389
• His cousin Arnold II Ordingen , the first who called himself lord of Ordingen
• Mary Ordingen married William of Horion
• Arnold Horion , deceased in 1481 , was buried in the church of Ordingen
• William II of Horion , son of Arnold , deceased in 1503 , also buried in the church of Ordingen
• William III of Horion adapted the castle to the spirit of the Renaissance
• the daughter grandson of William IV of Horion , Digna married Gerard Huyn of Amstenrade . Gerard decided to sell . Just before his death the castle His wife Sophia Bellinckhausen sold it in 1611 to Edmond Huyn of Amstenrade , Grand Commander of Alden Biesen and member of the Teutonic Order , casual family of her deceased husband
In 1611 the Teutonic Order glory Ordingen bought and was the 16th -century castle converted into a moated castle . In 1633 From this phase the gatehouse with guardhouse , the single corner tower and the commander home. Dating During the French occupation , the votaries stay with chapel replaced by a classical castle. In 1879 the family Pitteurs built a new castle built in neo-renaissance . That was heavily bombed during WWII and subsequently rebuilt . The immense castle, which is partially protected since 1968 , has been a time in restoration .
Early 19th century acquired the wealthy coal baron Charles Pitteurs - Hiegaeerts well. When the man died in 1863, his third son Leon , got baron for life and mayor of Ordingen well in his possession . He rebuilt the castle in 1879 and thoroughly explained to a great art collection . The next owner , in 1902 , his unmarried son Antoine .
A German bombardment in 1940 , difficulties restoration records and family quarrels prompted a new sales . Antoine died in 1962 , the castle was sold in 1964 to a GP from Tongeren . The surrounding grounds were largely parceled for building houses.
This owner has the western corner tower and gatehouse renovated . The fully castle area is undergoing now (2012 ) a restoration to it later benefits. A hotel restaurant from The commander's house is a center for day trip , the gatehouse has been converted into a house for the owner .