The history of Alden Biesen begins in 1220, when the Order of German Knights founded the Landcommanderij Alden Biesen.
This Order was divided into 12 provinces. Alden Biesen became headquarters of the province Biesen, who consisted of 12 subordinate commanderies.
The showpiece, Alden Biesen, was owned by the Commander.
The castle grounds had its heyday between the 16th and 18th centuries. Alden Biesen grew into the luxury residence as we know today.
At the end of the 18th century the French Revolution put an end to this, because the Order of the German Knights was expelled.
The castle complex was publically sold. When Guillaume Claes bought the domain, it was the beginning of two centuries of private ownership and decay.
After the fire of 1971 the Belgian state bought Alden Biesen. Today the Landcommanderij Alden Biesen is an international cultural center of the Flemish Government.